Jaigarh fort: The Victory Fort
Jaigarh Fort is located on the Hill of Eagles, Amer. Jaigarh fort was built in 1726 AD by Sawan Jai Singh II. Jaigarh Fort is located at a height of 500 feet above sea level and offers panoramic views of the surrounding. It houses the world’s largest cannon on the wheels called ‘Jaivana Cannon’. There are various other attractions within the fort like Laxmi Vilas, Lalit Mandir, Aram Mandir and the Vilas Mandir.
Jaigarh Fort is made-up of sandstone and is spread over an area of 3 km. Made with the purpose of protecting Amer Fort, Jaigarh fort is considered as the strongest monument of Jaipur. Also known by the name of ‘Victory Fort’, this place was considered as a storehouse of all the war amours, cannons, arms and ammunition. There is a Persian style garden within the complex of the fort which is divided into 4 parts. The best part about the fort is its windows which are made of lattices. These windows allow a complete view of the exteriors, but nothing can be observed from the outside.
The royal structure reflects the medieval construction style and is filled with various marvelous exquisite interiors. The huge and stunning construction Jaigarh Fort was built during the period of Jai Singh ll between 15th to 18th centuries using the red sandstone. Also the majestic fort has the complexes to store the huge weapons, cannons and other arms along with places like warriors assembly.
The gigantic canon Jaivana is the major attraction of the fort along with its exceptional military architecture and other attractions. Being a military campus this fort holds an armory which presents the swords, and other essential things mostly used in wars. The museum displays the puppets, artifacts, photographs and the war utilities of the Rajput rulers.
Interesting fact about the fort
- Jaigarh Fort was one of the main foundries of rich iron mines in the region.
- The main attraction of fort is the jaivan cannon. One of the largest cannon on the wheels.
- jaican cannon weight is 50 tonnes and having 20.19 feet barrel and 11 inch diameter. It is also be turned in 360 degree, thus making it possible to fire in all the four directions.
- Built of red stone, this is a fortified fort and still maintain its magnificence and pride.
- It is the watchtower that is the best place in the fort to be as it gives an astounding view of the splendid envious.
- There are two temples in premises one is kal bhairav and another is ram harihar temple.
- Jaigarh fort was in news in 1977. when the prime minister Indira Ghandi was said to have launched a treasure hunt in the fort premises.
9:00 AM – 4:30 AM
Video Camera: 200
Availability of guides
Guides are available the on request.
For Hindi speaking guide will charge 100 INR and English speaking guide is 150 INR.